Thank you to all participants! A $20/student participation fee is due before the first rehearsal. Payment may be made one of two ways:
1 – Mail a check to:
Michael Harbaugh – KASTA Treasurer
C/O Beloit Elementary School
1201 N. Bell
Beloit, KS 67420
2 – Pay with credit card using the PayPal Link Below:
Kansas Intercollegiate Orchestra 2020 (UPDATED 2/8/20)
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL!! THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION!!
KANSAS INTERCOLLEGIATE ORCHESTRA (KIO) (UPDATED 1/18/20)
The Kansas Intercollegiate Orchestra (KIO) typically alternates participation at the KMEA In-Service Workshop every other year with Kansas Intercollegiate Band (KIB). However, to help align KIB with their national event, the KIO will take place in both 2020 AND 2021 and will occur in odd numbered years following! Please check back for updates as more information become available (UPDATED 1/18/20)!
2020 Kansas Intercollegiate Orchestra
Cornelia Laemmli Orth, conductor
February 27–28, 2020 – KMEA Convention
Rehearsal Location: Wichita North West High School, 1220 N Tyler Rd, Wichita, KS 67212
Performance: Friday, Feb. 28, 2:45pm, Century II Concert Hall
Kansas Intercollegiate Orchestra Director 2020
Cornelia Laemmli Orth was appointed Music Director of the Cayuga Chamber Orchestra in July 2016. She is also in her twelfth season as music director of Symphony of the Mountains (SOTM). In addition to Masterworks Series, she has developed new series of Summer Outdoor, Family, Young People, Pops, Patriotic and Cross-Over concerts. World-renowned soloists are regular guests with SOTM and as an advocate for contemporary music, she brings a variety of new music to the region. Her concert lectures, involvement with area schools, colleges and universities, speeches for civic organizations, regular TV and radio appearances and collaborations with regional art organizations have made her a vital part of her TN community. In October 2017, she appeared as guest conductor with the Brevard Philharmonic in Brevard, NC.
From 2010-2012, Ms. Orth held the position of interim music director for the Appalachian Philharmonic and the Appalachian State University Opera Program in Boone, NC. She resumed these responsibilities for the 2015-2016 season, and serves now on the advisory board for the Hayes School of Music.
During the 2014-2015 Season, she had her debut as guest conductor with the Asheville Lyric Opera in Asheville, NC. Prior to her engagement with Symphony of the Mountains, she held the position of music director and conductor of the Oak Ridge Symphony and Choir. She served as Associate Conductor and later Principal Guest Conductor of the Knoxville Symphony from 2002-2008 and has had several appearances with this orchestra since then.
In Europe, she was music director of the Operetta Theatre in Moeriken, Switzerland, guest assistant conductor under Philippe Jordan at La Scala in Milano, Italy, worked with the Bohuslav Orchestra in the Czech Republic, and conducted many concerts with choirs and ad hoc orchestras with musicians from the Zurich Opera House and the Tonhalle Orchestra.
Cornelia Laemmli Orth received her Lehrdiplom in piano from the Conservatory at Winterhur and graduated from the Conservatory and University in Zurich with her Masters in Music Education and Choral Conducting. She obtained her Masters in Orchestra Conducting from Northwestern University, where she studied under Victor Yampolsky. In a variety of workshop settings, she studied under Larry Rachleff, Marin Alsop, Joann Falletta, Robert Spano, Kirk Trevor, Tsung Yeh, Milen Nachev and Johannes Schlaefli.
Ms. Orth convincingly combines the classical-romantic tradition of her old world origins with the unique American flavor that her international background and extensive working experience in her adopted country has provided her, and is a sought-after guest conductor in the US and in Europe.
Selection is based on an audition submitted through Festival Scores by a college teacher/director.
Mendelssohn: Overture Hebrides
Stravinsky: Firebird Suite
Thursday, February 27
9:30 am Registration
10:00-12:00 pm Full KIO Rehearsal
1:00-2:45 pm Sectionals
3:00-5:00 pm Full KIO Rehearsal
5:00-7:00 pm Dinner Break
7:00-9:00 pm Full KIO Rehearsal
Friday, February 28
8:00-Noon Full KIO Rehearsal
Noon-2:00 pm Lunch/Dress for Concert
2:10-2:40 pm Dress Rehearsal (Century II Concert Hall)
2:45-3:20 pm KIO Concert (Century II Concert Hall)
Guidelines (UPDATED 1/18/20)
- Auditions are submitted online through “Festival Scores” by a college director/teacher.
- A $20 participation fee is due from each selected KIO participant.
- Mail checks to: Jesse Henkensiefken, 412 E. Jewell Ave., Salina, KS 67401
- Make all checks payable to “KASTA”
- Participants are responsible for their own travel, food, and lodging expenses.
- Rehearsal location: Wichita North West High School.
- The KIO Concert will be on Friday, February 28 in the Century II Concert Hall.
- KIO participants will receive Friday KMEA conference badges, which will enable them to visit exhibits, attend concerts, etc., on that day.
Seating Placements/Auditions (UPDATED 1/18/20)
All participants will audition on-line via the Festival Score system. The online audition will be available December 27, 2019 – January 26, 2020. The online audition is NOW OPEN! Follow the instructions below. Audition music is available below.
GETTING STARTED WITH FESTIVAL SCORES
- Go to https://FestivalScores.com
- Click on either the Login tab at the top or the Enter Audition System button in the center of the screen (they are identical links)
- Click on Participating Director
- Click on Create a New Account. From that point, the site will guide directors through account set-up.
Once the account is set up and logged in, go to the Audition Events tab and Activate New Event for the following tags.
- Wind/Brass = ZY3X9X7
- Percussion = 3YWWS67
- Strings = RV5HJZ9
Create school and student profiles under the Schools and Students tabs.
Go to the Entries tab and Manage Entries.
- Create audition assignments
- Manage mp3 files (this is where mp3 file uploading takes place)
Seating will be determined from the online audition and the review of the registration forms. There will not be a separate audition for chair placement.
- String players will be sent bowed parts via scan.
- Original parts will be provided for use in all rehearsals and concert.All percussionists should bring their own sticks and mallets.
- All participants are expected to play in every rehearsal and the Friday afternoon 2:45 pm concert.
- All participants are expected to arrive 15 minutes early to each rehearsal and 30 minutes early to the Friday afternoon 2:10 pm Dress Rehearsal and KIO Concert.
- No hats or cell phones are allowed in rehearsal.
- Please remember that you represent your school, KASTA, and KMEA. Your language, actions, and attitude reflect not only upon you but also these organizations.
Men: solid black tuxedo or suit, white shirt, black bow-tie, black socks and black shoes.
Women: ankle-length solid black dress, ankle-length black skirt or full-length black slacks (no black jeans), black tops with sleeves and a modest neckline, and black dress shoes.
412 E. Jewell Ave.
Salina, KS 67401